Friday, August 6, 2010

Tried and True!

In my quest to come up with a few new meal ideas (specifically f
or my deep freeze), I have taken to trying a few new recipes (from fellow bloggers).
Night before last, I decided to try a Sarah recipe.  Sarah's food blog is Literally, a Spoonful.  The recipe is Stuffed Peppers.  Now, I grew up with Muver's version of Stuffed bell peppers.  The basic recipe is this: 1 lb ground sausage, cooked and drained, add 1 jar of spaghetti sauce and fill wilted bell peppers with mixture.  Top with cheddar cheese and bake until bubbly, serve over rice.  Its good, but, when I saw this recipe of Sarah's, I knew I had to give it a go;)

I love Sarah's food.  Its tasty, simple, nutrient rich and best of all, its economical.  Because let's face it peeps, tightening the grocery belt is important.

I took some pics, but, Sarah's are way better, so head on over to her blog and check out her recipe because its FANTASTIC!

Its Erin and Matt approved!
The only thing is this...bell peppers can be kind of expensive, especially the red, yellow, and orange ones.  I only bought red because they were on sale.  Next time, I will get the regular green because they are much more economical...not as attractive, but more economical.

I followed the recipe with these 3 exceptions:
1.  I didn't have the can of diced tomatoes...but I did have a garden fresh tomato, so, I chopped it and used it and it worked just fine.  I did have the can of Rotel the recipe called for and you definitely need the Rotel.
2.  I did use sharp cheddar cheese but I used the Cabot Extra Sharp All Natural Cheddar Cheese, so, it was white cheddar instead of orange.
3.  I only used 2 peppers instead of 3 because I only wanted leftovers for 2 and because I wanted to freeze the leftover filling and see how it reheated.....I would love to make a couple batches of this filling and freeze for later use;)

So, I linked up the recipe in the beginning of this post....go ahead and print it and put in your recipe file because its that good.
 

1 comment:

Sarah Barry said...

Aw thanks for the shout out. I'm thrilled you like the peppers and what a fantastic idea to freeze the filling. I will definitely be trying that next time I make this dish!

Hope you are feeling well!