Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Nesting has begun....

Sort of.
I just want to be prepared.
I should have been a boyscout;)

I was medically induced with Rutledge @ 36 weeks.
I had developed Pre-eclampsia.
Yeah, not exactly what I had pictured for my last month of pregnancy.

But, he was a healthy babe, except for a little jaundice.
6 lbs 9 oz 20 inches long
I'm scared to think how big he would have been full term....
It kind of makes me scared to think of going full term with this babe....

Anywho, I don't want to be caught with an empty deep freeze!
See, the plan was for me to transition out of work @ 35 weeks and then be home for the last month of my pregnancy.  I felt like I could accomplish what I needed to as far as stocking my freezer, my pantry, as well as basic necessities like toilet paper and paper towels.

Needless to say, it didn't happen.
My MIL was great and made about 2 weeks worth of meals and froze them for us, but, we got tired of the same thing.  We also had other meals dropped off by friends and that was great.
But, I just wanted to eat what we normally eat.

So, now, I'm really getting my head in the game.
I have been doing a little research on freezer meals.

 Now, I love my freezer, and my deep freeze for that matter.

My goal is to have 2 months worth of nutrient packed meals in my deep freeze.

Now, Matt is VERY handy in the kitchen and we love cooking together.
But, after working all day, the last thing I want him doing is preparing a meal.
I will want his HELP with the 2 kids.

So, because we love to grill, I will have a protein stock in my freezer that he can marinate and grill.
I will also have healthy side dishes in my freezer to accompany said proteins.
I also want to throw in those 1 pan meals where we can just put together a salad or a side of broccoli and be done with it:)

I am going to use the rest of the summer to test some new recipes and old ones and see how they work out of the freezer.
I'll keep you updated.

Also, if anyone has any great freezer meal/side dish recipes, please share!
I have my old standbys but, for 2 months worth of meals, I need to expand my file;)

Keep in mind, the babe is coming in Winter...we eat tons of soup in the Winter months, I have 3 good soups now, Black Bean, Broccoli Cheese, Vegetable.  I would like to add 2 more soups to the file.
I also make amazing spaghetti sauce, which I always make in bulk because if you are going to the trouble, you should just make enough to last a while.

I'll be checking my fellow blogger friends sites for their favorite recipes and testing them out!
My favorites come from Sarah @ Spoonful.  She actually has another blog just for food!  Check it out here
Sarah is amazing!  Check out her blog if you get a chance!

So, any insight that you peeps have on freezer meals would be greatly appreciated:)

No comments: