Monday, June 7, 2010

WDW part 2

Tuesday morning brought the same routine as Monday morning except Matt was able to leave his meeting a little early;) With the boss man’s persmission, of course! During Matt’s first meeting, Rutledge and I headed over to Downtown Disney to meet my friend, Megan Poag Peckham and her daughter Cate who is 3 days older than Rutledge! Megan is from Sheffield and we were high school friends and it was great seeing her on her new “turf”.
Just look at her daughter….
Can we say Amazon Woman?
Srsly, this girl is TALL! A whole head taller than my Bubba! Needless to say, the baby girls daddy is tall…like real tall. The kids were able to ride a carousel and miniature train and just hang out while the mama’s talked. It made for a nice morning. Thanks Megan and Cate for hanging out with us! We hope to see y’all in a few weeks when y’all head up this way!

Matt met us in Downtown Disney and we loaded up and headed over to the Magic Kingdom….this time, on the right bus. The only thing we didn’t realize is that bc Downtown Disney is a public place, ( it has no admission and the general public can walk around and enjoy the shops and restaurants), the Disney buses won’t take you directly to the parks from that particular location. I guess they don’t want people that aren’t staying on the resorts to use the free transportation to and from the parks. Anywho, we took a bus to the Contemporary Resort and hopped on the monorail from there. Yet another mode of transporation my child was THRILLED about.

We walked through those “Magical” gates and hopped right on the train that takes you through the entire park. We got off in Mickey’s Toontown, I think. It promptly began to rain. The rain lasted about 15 minutes and really cooled things off, which was delightful. We walked around Toontown and toured Mickey’s Playhouse then walked to Fantasyland with every intention of riding either Peter Pan’s Flight or Dumbo….We took one look at the lines and at the Fast Pass times and decided the hour long wait just wasn’t worth it for a 2 year old. We then walked over the It’s a Small World and the wait was only 5 minutes. Rutledge saw the boats and went nuts. We boarded our boat and the ride began, it was perfect for a 2 year old.

I think this face says it all.

After our ride, we got a little snack and walked over to Cinderella’s Castle.
 Guess who showed up for a little show? Mickey of course!
We watched Mickey and his dancers for about 10 minutes and then headed to Main Street USA in search of mouse ears that we could have embroidered with Bubba’s name. We quickly found the shop and chose the classic style ears and classic embroidery. $15 later, we had a 15 minute wait and we walked next door to the candy store where a very friendly worker gave Rutledge a very special treat!

Two marshmellows on a stick, dipped in white chocolate then covered in sprinkles.
Toddler heaven.
We walked outside to enjoy the treat, sat down on a bench and not 5 minutes after sitting, this came right by! How fun! Rutledge loved the band and his treat…

After the mini parade, we picked up our Mickey ears and were on our way back to the Yacht Club for pool time!
His ears:)

After pool time we headed back to our room to get ready for date night. Our Disney Sitter, Felicia, came back and we headed over to Epcot to enjoy some time together. Apparently, you have to book about 6 months in advance to get into any decent restaurants on the resort. I wasn’t expecting much when I was attempting to make a reservation, I just took what we could get for the time slot. We “dined” at Les Chefs de France. It was ok. The wine, champagne, bread, and dessert were good…the rest was ok, but, its not like we were expecting a Michelin Star or anything. Our waitress was great.

Anywho, after supper, we headed over to Boardwalk Disney. Destination, Jelly Rolls, a dueling piano bar. It was fun, we drank a few beers and sang a few songs and then headed back to the room.

Wednesday was spent in Epcot. We were able to accomplish several activities! First, we headed over to “The Land”. We took a boat ride that traveled through Disney’s experimental gardens. This was really cool and we all enjoyed the experience…the best part…it’s a continuous ride, like “It’s a Small World”. We had to wait like 5 minutes to board. After this ride we watched a nature, circle of life film hosted by Simba. Another great time filler. Then, we ate a little lunch in the massive food court. I think it was called Seasons. I chose this food court because they had lots of options. Matt had an Italian sandwich on Foccacia and I had a grilled veggie and goat cheese sandwich on flatbread, Bubba shared between the two. It was a pretty good food court and from what I've read, its the best quick service eatery on the entire resort.

After lunch, we loaded up and walked over to “The Seas”. There were a couple of things to do with Bubba involving Nemo. He has no idea who Nemo is but it was fun. We took a clam shell ride through an aquarium. The extra bit was that there were some virtual effects reflected in the aquarium. This was another continuous ride. After our Nemo clam shell ride, we walked over to Crush’s area and had “Turtle Time Talk with Crush”. Rutledge was too young for this but it was fun watching the other children “talk” to Crush (from Nemo).

We spent a little more time walking around Epcot before we headed back for pool time;)

Do you see a pattern here? We quickly figured out that a 3 hour maximum in the park was enough for all 3 of us. It was great that Matt had meetings in the mornings because it truly limited our time in the parks. We also knew that we needed some wind down/cool off time in the late afternoons. So, we headed to the parks in time for lunch and stayed for about 3 hours. It just worked. If we are able to go back with older children, I would probably head into the parks around 9 (when they open) and stay until around 2pm and then head back for R&R. Another bonus, you can take your own drinks and snacks inside the park. I had heard rumors that this was NOT allowed. But, we were able to take in sippy cups, juice boxes, water bottles, Goldfish snacks, etc. in our backpack. This REALLY saved money. We simply refilled our water bottles at the water fountains.

Wednesday evening held our conventions finale. Supper was served outdoors in the Yacht Club’s Marina, complete with characters, live music and a balloon guy. After supper, we were escorted to Epcot where we were treated to a beautiful dessert buffet on a private viewing platform in the France section of Epcot. We had the best view in the house to watch the fireworks! It was awesome!

This is the position that Rutledge was in before the fireworks began...
Huddled in Mr. Tra's arms.

Then he heard the sound of this....

And woke right up to watch.

He then became obsessed with the fiber optic toy that Mr. Tra bought for him...
He loved it so much his eyes crossed looking at it:)

Our family pic following the fireworks.

It was a great trip and we feel so blessed that we were able to spend this time together in the "Happiest Place on Earth"!


No comments: