Thursday, May 6, 2010

The perfect snack...or light supper

From my kitchen to yours:)

We have lots of light suppers in the Rogers' household. 
 Especially in the spring and summer.  Sometimes, you just don't have time to cook a full meal and sometimes you eat too much for lunch!  I have found that this is a great light supper/snack idea for families because the portion size is perfect for a small child and perfect for a not ravenous adult.

The basic ingredients are easy to keep on hand.  And, you can use a variety of basics.  This is what I use:
1.  Soft Flour Tortillas, I use the medium sized but you can use the big ones if you like.  I usually keep spinach tortillas and or whole grain tortillas on hand but had run out on this particular evening.
2.  Pizza Sauce, you don't have to get fancy here, I use the Winn Dixie brand Pizza Sauce.  Its fine.  Although, I have just made my first batch of homemade pizza sauce and its freezing in ice cube trays as I type:)  I'll let you know how it turns out.
3.  Cheese.  I like to use a variety, but you can keep it simple if you like.  Of course, I use the classic mozzerella.  I also like to use the "Italian blend" shredded cheese mix....I think it has mozzerella, parmesan, asagio and provolone.  In a pinch, I have just sprinkled some parmesan on top of my mozzerella...it was perfect!
4.  Toppings.  The key with toppings for kids is to keep it simple.  That's why I make sure to put extra veggies in the sauce...I do this with spaghetti sauce as well:)  My secret is frozen chopped spinach....defrosted and whirrled up in my mini food processor from the Dollar General:)  Be sure to squeeze it dry before adding to your sauce.  This particular night, the cupboard was a little bare, so, it was classic pepperoni....and my sauteed mushrooms....in cabernet sauvignon....to die for!!!

Preheat your oven to 450.  I like to use a cookie sheet lined in foil.  Put your tortillas in the preheated oven for about 5-7 minutes, watching closely!  You want them to get crispy on one side but not too brown!  They will "bubble up" but don't worry,  you can pop them with a fork.  Next, flip them over and they will look like this on the bottom.  Time to put those toppings on!

You don't need much sauce, start with about a tablespoon and take it from there because you don't want a soggy crust!  Add cheese and your other toppings.  Be careful not to overload your pizza!  I don't use more than 3-4 tablespoons of cheese per pizza.

The amazing shrooms'.  I'll give up that recipe at a later date! 
After topping, put the cookie sheet back in the oven for 7-10  minutes, or until your pizzas look like this!  Looking at these pics, I wonder why only 1 pizza has mushrooms???  I guess we shared 2 and each got half of a pepperoni pizza and half of a shroom' pizza. 

Matt gets a little ticked sometimes that his portion is the same as Bubba's.......I have to remind him that its a light supper.....his response is that sometimes, its not about needing to eat more, its WANTING to eat more;)   Its all about portion control....which is hard when something tastes REALLY good!  However, when you serve this with a salad, its the perfect size meal.   

Enjoy!



1 comment:

mr. pineapple man said...

what a great idea! looks delicious :)