Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The perfect skillet filet.

The perfect skillet filet, because sometimes its raining and who likes to grill in the rain?

I like to start with an 8-9 oz filet that's at least 2 inches thick.  The thicker the better, in our opinion. 
You can marinate it beforehand, if you like.  I did marinate in Pilleteri's for about an hour.

This particular Friday night, I decided on a crushed black pepper crusted filet.
Yummy.

First, you need a skillet that you can put in a 450 degree oven.
Preheat your oven to 450.
Put your skillet on the stove and place the temp on medium high, on my stove that's about a 7.  Put a couple of Tablespoons of oil in the skillet.
Let it get hot!
While your skillet is heating do this.....

***If you do not marinate your steak you need to salt it at this point.  Sprinkle salt to taste on both sides of your filet.

Take a small plate and put some course ground black pepper on it, about 2 tablespoons.
This is from a ziploc that I keep my course ground pepper in...if you don't have peppercorns that you can coursely grind....just use plain ground pepper from your spice cabinet.

Put your steak on the plate
Then turn it over and get the pepper on the other side.

Place your steak in the hot skillet.
Set your timer for 2.5 to 3 minutes.  There will be sizzling.  There will be a little smoke.
DON'T TOUCH it until your timer goes off.

Now, flip it.  There will be the most amazing crust on it....
Now, you can see all the scratches on my Calphalon skillet.  I'm embarressed.  I don't know why I didn't use it in the first place but I should have used one of my cast iron skillets.  Anywho, look at that crust!  To some, it may look burned.  But to my fellow foodie peeps, we all know that what you see is caramelization at its finest. 
After the flip (the only flip), put that baby in the preheated 450 oven.
For 5 minutes.

Then, remove from the skillet and let it rest...at least 5 minutes, preferably 5-10 minutes.  This is the hard part!
Then slice away!  We have found that an 8-9 oz filet is really all you need for 2 peeps.  Of course, we WANT to eat 1 each, but, 1/2 is a more appropriate serving for protein, especially red meat.

Here is a the finished plate.

No, I'm not goin' all FANCY on you folks.  This is my other "everyday" china.  The pattern is Woodland by Spode.  I lurv it.  LURV.  Its what my mom wanted me to register for when we got married.  I told her I was trying to take the woods out of my house.  I ended up getting plain white "restaurant ware" from Williams Sonoma.  Its very serviceable, inexpensive (like $5 per piece) and plain.  But, 1 year after the marriage, I was regretting the decision....the everyday china decision;)  I needed something a little snazzier!  Mom started giving me a few pieces at every Christmas, birthday, Valentines, Easter, you get the picture.  I know how 12 dinner plates and 12 salad plates.  When I get to 16 of each and start receiving bowls and mugs....I'll make it my real everyday;)

Anywho, this was the supper plate.  Filet, spinach madeline and a baked potato.  Does it get any better than a baked potato?  Just so you know, that mere dollop of sour cream is for the purpose of this post....I loaded that baby up properly right after this pic was taken;)

I will do another post about the spinach madeline.  Its something that you MUST have in your bag of tricks.
And, for all of you single gals out there, its another "husband getter".  Men love it.

Something else about the steak.  If you don't have pepper or don't like pepper, just use the same basic recipe without the pepper.  Season with a little salt and or whatever else you like before searing in the skillet.
We do it plain all the time and its delicious.

Hope everyone enjoys this little steak tip;)

2 comments:

Susannah said...

This meal looks incredible! Now I see where John gets it from (or you get it! :D) He does dishes like this all time! Yummy......

Erin Caden Rogers said...

Great minds think alike:) I think John and I have pretty similar palets and food ideas.