Mushrooms in Red Wine
Get ready for the compliments, peeps!
This is a winning recipe.
I'm making this recipe with 16 ounces of white button mushrooms but feel free to increase or decrease as needed.
16 ounces mushrooms (button, crimini, bella, etc.)
2 Tablespoons Butter ***no substitutes!
2 Tablespoons oil (I use canola or olive or both)
1/2 teaspoon of salt (add more to taste at the end, if needed)
1/2 cup red wine (I used cabernet on this evening, but you can use whatever full-bodied red you have on hand)
Feel free to use a large skillet, I used a large pot on this particular evening.
On medium high heat, like in between a 7 and 8 on my stove, melt the butter into the oil.
Add mushrooms, stir to coat in melted butter and oil. Add salt, **adding salt at this point will help the mushrooms release their water. You need the water to release so it can evaporate and make tasty, non-slimy mushrooms.
Add 1/2 cup red wine.
Again, stir to coat. See how it looks a little purple in there? The mushrooms haven't started to cook and release their water, so you can't really see the wine very well.
After a few minutes, the mushrooms start to cook down and release their water.
See the reduction beginning? After the water is released from the mushrooms, it starts to evaporate and make a yummy sauce. You need about 5 more minutes at this point.
This is the finished product....Amazing!!!
We love to top steaks, burgers and pizzas with these delectable mushrooms. They also make a fantastic side dish.
If you have never cooked a fresh mushroom before there are a few things to remember:
1. Mushrooms have a lot of water in them, so don't add any water to your pan!!
2. Don't stir too much because you want some good color on your shrooms:)
3. If you don't like or don't have red wine, use the same recipe and procedure to get delicious sauteed mushrooms, they are equally delicious!
4. Salt is important for flavor and to help release the water in the shrooms. I have found that adding a little salt in the beginning helps release the water but also doesn't overpower. Too much salt and your mushrooms won't taste like mushrooms! A little salt enhances flavor, too much salt masks the flavor and does a lot of damage to your kidneys!!! Not to mention, isn't great for your blood pressure.