Thursday, April 1, 2010

A mid-week supper

I love to cook.  Love it.  I cook breakfast, lunch and supper 7 days a week, most weeks.  This was the menu last night:  Sauteed Red Snapper (caught by my hunter/fisherman husband this past summer),

Looking good on his favorite boat;)

Roasted Asparagus (on sale last week at Publix), Veg-All casserole.  Matt loves Veg-All casserole.  This is one of the dishes that I brought out after we were married.  Its something I grew up eating and its very simple.  
Now, I know a lot of peeps are canned good snobs.  I used to be but I'm not anymore!  We don't eat many things that come out of cans because of sodium levels but I do keep a few canned goods on hand like beans and a few veggies for quick meal supplements.
We are big frozen vegetable peeps...HOLD the judgement.  We eat lots of fresh leafy green salads and other fresh veggies but, did you realize that frozen veggies are a lot better for you in a few ways???  Because they are flash frozen so soon after they are harvested, frozen veggies aren't drained of their nutrients after harvest by being trucked to distributors and then being trucked to stores nationwide and then sitting on the produce aisle for goodness knows how long.  Also, they are a lot easier on your wallet.  Again, I'm getting off track.  I do that often.  Ok, back to supper.  You can certainly made this dish with frozen veggies, just steam in the microwave before putting together. 
Veg-All Casserole
You will need these items:
This is a 29 oz can of Homestyle vegetables.  I like to use the Homestyle because I like the bigger pieces of vegetable.  If you are making this for small children, you may want to use the regular Veg-All.  Now, you need to drain this can.  Next, take a mixing bowl and add some mayonaise.  Yes, you read that right....MAYONAISE!  Don't worry, not too much;)  It melts into a nice little sauce in the end.  This is our mayonaise of choice around these parts....
Duke's
Its made in Richmond, Virginia.  I grew up on Hellman's and I still like Hellman's.  But, if you have ever had homemade mayonaise then you know the difference between what comes out of a jar and what the real thing tastes like.....pure heaven.  Duke's has a consistency close to homemade mayonaise as well as great flavor.  You won't go back to your other brand.  Side note, Duke's does come in Light.....its not as good, just like anything else that comes in Light.  I would suggest to use the real thing, just a smaller amount.  So, you will need about 2-3 tablespoons of mayonaise.  Then sprinkle about a teaspoon of black pepper on top.
Then, bring out the sharp cheddar cheese.  Again, you don't need much, about 2-3 tablespoons.  Just grate some up or take some pre-shredded from a bag.  I buy sharp cheddar in a 2 lb block.....so, I have to grate. 

Mix the cheese in with the mayonaise and black pepper, then, add the can (or steamed frozen veggies) to the mixture.  Mix well but not well enough to turn your veggies to mush;)
Then, dump everything into a prepared casserole dish and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes.
After you pull it out, sprinkle the top with crushed Ritz crackers or my personal fave.....
French's French Fried Onions!
Just sprinkle a few on top and pop back in the oven until everything is brown and crispy, about 5 min. 
This recipe serves 4-6 peeps.
And, this is what Matt's plate looked like...

And, this is a Bubba plate

Bubba loves fish.

Signing off for now.  Hope everyone has a good Thursday!  I have to go pick up someone from Mom's Morning Out:)

1 comment:

Marianne said...

I love Erin food!!!